’Tis the season for pumpkin EVERYTHING! Pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin chili… The list goes on and on! We LOVE pumpkin this time of year and can’t seem to get enough of it, myself included! But how to stay happy and healthy with all that pumpkin-y temptation? I’m lookin’ at you Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin! Enter, this Pumpkin Butter recipe!
A Guilt-Free Pumpkin Spice Treat!
Good news! This season, I’ll be bringing you some pumpkin-y replacements that are just as delicious! To start, this crockpot pumpkin butter is extremely easy and using maple sugar instead of cane sugar is a healthier way to enjoy this classic.
PLUS, it has so many fun and delicious uses throughout the fall season. I’ve designed this recipe to be a perfect starting point for many of your pumpkin cravings. Just make up a batch – or two, they freeze for up to 6 months or stay well in your fridge for a month – and then stir it into a myriad of dishes or treats to pumpkin up your snacks and meals!
Up Your Pumpkin Game!
I love this spread over a warm piece of toast or quick bread such as banana nut or pumpkin spice, but here are a ton of other ideas. Try blending it into your morning joe with grass-fed butter for a wonderful, healthy version of your very own pumpkin spice latte.
Or whip it into yogurt and top with pecans for a satisfying homemade pumpkin yogurt breakfast. Try it with cream cheese for your own pumpkin cream cheese – great on a cinnamon raisin bagel or toast!
For dessert, mix it into your favorite ice cream or soft-serve or add it to your whipped cream before whipping – instant pumpkin whipped cream! Yum! For more amazing healthy pumpkin recipes, check out our recipe round-up of top 30 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes.
Fall is coming folks, along with our favorite fall flavors. Pumpkin, apples, warming spices! I’m getting into the festivities by gathering as many healthy autumn recipes as possible to share with you. This is the time to get our healthy recipes in line. The holidays are right around the corner and I know that what comes next could be one of three possibilities:
- I could ruin my healthy eating habits by binging on holiday favorites, convincing myself that it is okay because it is only once a year.
- I could forgo everything I know and love about the holiday eating season, feeling deprived and unhappy and wishing I was like my friend Sara who seems like she can eat any and everything around without so much as a glimmer of weight gain.
- I could find and gather my favorite healthy holiday dishes so I can enjoy my holiday season guilt-free, not missing out on two of the things I absolutely LOVE about this time of year – baking and eating! – AND not regretting my decisions later and feeling awful about myself inside and out, but instead feeling and looking great all winter long!
I choose option 3! So, I will be sharing all of my favs with you to inspire you to do the same! For starters, check out all the amazing fall apple recipes I collected from all my friends across the internet.
You also shouldn’t miss a favorite healthified banana bread recipe I devised from my mom’s classic banana bread.
Have a happy, healthy autumn and eat pumpkin EVERYTHING till you’re sick of it!
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- ½ cup no-sugar-added apple juice
- ½ cup maple sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of finely ground himalayan salt
- A squeeze of lemon
- Combine all ingredients in your crockpot.
- Set crockpot to low. Cover and let cook for approximately 5 hours, stirring occasionally, until pumpkin butter thickens up enough so that it will stick to a spoon when held upside down.
- Transfer pumpkin butter into a sealable jar and allow to cool completely. Once cool, seal and store in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy on everything!