This is my favorite way to prepare green beans, as I mentioned in a previous post about ways to amp up your veggies. I am a big fan of feta. It’s a great way to add quick flavor and saltiness to your veggies. A little goes a long way with feta and it has 6 grams of fat whereas cheddar and jack cheese have 9, which makes it the healthier choice.
Speaking of salt, you will see that no additional salt is need in this dish as the feta and the olives provide all the salt you will need. In fact, it is a good idea to avoid regular table salt. A good ways to do this is to adjust the salt in your recipes to account for real food salt sources such as these. Another good idea is to replace your normal table salt with fresh grinder dispensing pink Himalayan salt, which has many benefits that you can read about here.
The final touch to this recipe is a bit of added crunch for texture, which I always like to do. Heart healthy almonds go well in here, but you can try other options such as pine nuts or walnuts, which would be good choices as well.
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 8-10 Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced into quarters
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- pepper to taste
- Prepare green beans by chopping off the stem ends.
- Steam green beans in a steamer basket over boiling water until crisp-tender, about seven minutes.
- Then heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Toss green beans in oil.
- Add feta olives and almonds and toss to coat.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve beside your favorite meal or enjoy on its own.