I love Mexican flavors and this soup is one of my favorites. I love a good soup recipe and this one sort of reminds me of a healthier take on a chicken tortilla soup without the tortilla chips and with some great veggies tossed in for good measure. You can always throw in some chips if you want though. I won’t tell!
I like to make up a batch and then prepare a bunch of tiny bowls with garnishes like grated cheese, sour cream, avocado slices and cilantro. Then I lay them all out taco bar style and we can all customize our own.
The recipe is easy to make and the family will love it. You will love that it has the extra dose of zucchini in it. I use spiraled zucchini to act as the noodles using my SpiraLife spiralizer and the whole thing cooks up in no time if you’ve got pre-cooked chicken breasts or rotisserie chicken, which you can get a many grocery stores.
If you like to do without the beans and grain, a paleo version of my recipe is featured on Paleomazing.com, a fantastic website with many amazing recipes and blog posts that is worth checking out.
Be sure to take a peek at some of my other zoodle recipes such as my Anti-Pasta Salad, which makes a great healthy BBQ potluck dish. Enjoy!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced or shredded
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 red jalapeno, sliced
- Juice of ó a lime
- 2-3 tablespoon salsa of choice
- 1 zucchini
- Garnishes: Sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips and shredded cheese
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and
- pepper. Stir well.
- Add chicken, black beans, corn, jalapeno and lime juice.
- Stir in salsa to taste.
- Spiral your zucchini using your vegetable spiralizer. Run a knife through your zucchini spirals and add them to soup, or give the zucchini a little tug here and there as you are spiraling it to cut the strands shorter as you go.
- Garnish as desired and serve.