This recipe was adapted from a pasta salad recipe my mom used to make us when we were growing up. My mom was the queen of entertaining and always had kids running around her house 24/7. Whether it was me and my three brothers, my cousins or the students at the home school she ran, there was always someone to feed!
Summer picnics and pool days were often spent with big bowls of potato salad and pasta salad. I love my mom’s potato and pasta salads! Both super easy to make and people always asked for the recipes. The original pasta salad uses a pound of rotelle spiral pasta noodles. I thought I’d replace them with veggie pasta noodles!
I wanted to find a way to invite summer in with the same flavors I loved as a kid but without the guilty, gluten and carb filled pasta. This was the result and one I know my mom would be proud of! Always a hit in summer, but you can enjoy any day of the year!
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, chopped
- 1 can pitted black olives
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon fine black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all dressing ingredients. Should mix to a rosy coloring. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Spiral your zucchini and yellow squash, dicing any remaining vegetable that the SpiraLife does not process. Run a knife through the veggie spirals to create bite-sized noodles.
- Combine all vegetables, olives and parsley.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix throughly to combine. You may not need all of the dressing so add in stages. Season to taste.
- Chill and serve.